Monday 21 February 2011

The interview

I know this is a delayed blog for when the interview was fresh in my mind, but I was too busy telling people how pleased I was and making my friends and family cakes to eat due to the new kitchen.

So, the day started off with a trip to Tesco to update my self with the latest news of the day, as of course wanting to be a journalist, you need to know what is going on and new developments as soon as possible. I bought a selection of local and national media to add to my 'current affair' mind map! It was full to the brim by the time of the interview, which was useful for the quiz I had to endure earlier on in the day! The time was closing in for when we had to leave to set off to the University of Salford! At this point I didn't really know what I was feeling as I was nervous, but I wanted to keep calm, so all in all I can probably say I wasn't feeling anything but numb.

When half 11 struck, it was time ot leave for Salford as we had to drop my Dad off in Manchester for an international conference before hand, when I think about it now, arriving an hour early at Salford was probably a better option as it gave me time to relax in my surroundings. I read the student newspaper to add things to what I'd say in the interview. There were many people in the waiting room for interviews that day, but luckily over half were for an preforming arts audition rather than for a BA Journalism interview! turned out from about the 20 people waiting in the foyer only 8 were for my course., that made me relax even more thankfully.

As 1 o'clock approached, the programme organiser for the Journalism course appeared in the foyer. All 8 of us gathered by him and followed him down through a maze of corridors down to the Journalism suite of the Adelphi building at Salford. We didn't get a tour of the buliding itself because as of September 2011, all journalist students will be studying at a new building at MediaCityUK where the BBC is relocating some of it's programmes and so is the set of Corination Street. It's going to be amazing!

The first section of the interview was a current affairs quiz, this asked you about things that had happened either the day before or a few days before at least, another few questions were about the organisations which affect journalism today. I feel as if I answered the questions witht he best of my knowledge and as many as I could, although some were just over my head, but in the actual interview he said that I answered the quiz well, so not all is lost! Once my name was called for my one to one interview, the ideas just kept flowing. It was strange though, it felt as if I was driving the interview really in some way as he hardly ever had to ask me a starter question, I just made it flow from one point to another, which was amazing for me!

So, all in all I think my interview went really well and I will hopefully get the offer I have been waiting for! If I do get an offer I think I will probably cry with happiness and it would really make me want to do the best I could ever do in my A-levels!

No comments:

Post a Comment