Tuesday 5 October 2010

Personal Statements.

I want to go to university, no doubt about that. However, it baffles me that I am going to be judged for what I am off a piece of paper. A limited typed piece of paper. 4000 characters (plus spaces) or 47 lines of UCAS box. I can't possibly be judged against hundreds of other students just by what I can limit myself to fill 47 lines of a UCAS box. Its impossible and unfair, in my opinion anyway. As I know for a fact, some may lie and be chosen over others even if they are offered an interview and "be caught out" They are obviously going to practise what they are going to say in that situation. However, I suppose that life is just generally unfair.

The personal statement is a dreaded article which is slaved over for weeks and even months. The sooner you submit, the better you look. I feel sorry for the 'early applicant' who other than submitting it by the 15th October, has to probably pass a entry test of some sort! For example, UKCAT, LNAT, etc. My hat goes off to those students and you just know they're going to pursue a successful life in whatever they do. However, for someone like me, who doesn't have the need to go to somewhere like OxBridge or do something like Law, have a later deadline, which is nice, but also makes us apathetic and the idea of doing it last minute springs to mind. BUT! This is my future we're on about and it is vital that I get it in 'ASAP' but I have to be willing to do many a draft to get it absolutely perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment